<>

Albert Camus

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Review Emerald and Other Stories by Hiroaki Samura

It's happening to me too, however occasionally, to fall into the trap and buy a book based just on its brief description. It's about Emerald and Other Stories by Hiroaki Samura. Although I knew that there would be a different topic, I gave credit to the author and I didn’t never expected to be faced with such a result. There was no way to know, neither I nor others who have bought the book, about the topics of this collection of short stories that appeared only in Japanese magazines. Of course, I was after the pleasant experience with the Blade of the Immortal (see here) and I did not thought it would be a such big difference. What is the difference?
The title story collection, Emerald, carry out the action in the Wild West, and although is not up to the Blade of the Immortal, is a nice one and in well-known style of the author. And the bad news is? Is the only attractive story and is quite short.

So much for the pluses. Now, what should I tell you? Maybe it’s the difference between our Western culture and Oriental one? Perhaps, although I think it is not the only cause. Why? Well, let me tell you why: about Emerald I’ll not dwell on because we know what it is, but still is too little. The Kusein Family's Grandest Show and Brigitte's Dinner are two stories a bit weird. I used weird because I didn’t want to say another harsher word, but I would not recommend them for readers under 18, and over this age just for those that are willing to read such things. Put aside that are weird, they have some things like voyeurism, BDSM, a little touch of incest and I stop here because they are pretty disturbing things. The Uniforms Stay On are the most and I do not see why. A story about two high school girls that babble about their lives, about their generation issues and all sorts of other things that certainly we don’t care about nor are some wit things. About Shizuru Cinema I could say, to give you an idea, that it's something like Total Rekall, but the only thing they have in common is the store memories, otherwise, nothing spectacular. Low-Grade Strategy: The Mirror Play it’s about a game of Mahjong. I do not think you’ll understand something about it if you have not played the game and I do not refer to that game we all have in the computers. Youth-Chaka-Chang Chang refers to a song that a boy dedicated to a girl who is faultfinding the tune and the story has a weird and unexpected ending.

I never said that before, but I would not recommend it. If you are fans of this more... strange genre of manga, is OK. The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Romanian:
Mi se întâmplă și mie, rar totuși, să cad în capcană și să cumpăr o carte după scurta descriere ce o însoțește. Este vorba despre Emerald and Other Stories de Hiroaki Samura. Cu toate că știam că nu o să fie un subiect asemănător, i-­am dat credit autorului și nu m-am așteptat să fiu pus în fața unui asemenea rezultat. Nu aveam cum să știu nici eu, nici alții care au cumpărat cartea despre ce este vorba fiind o colecție de scurte povestiri ce au apărut doar în reviste japoneze. Desigur, veneam după experiența plăcută cu Blade of the Immortal (vezi aici) și nu credeam că o să fie așa o mare diferență. În ce constă diferența?

Povestirea care dă titlul colecției, Emerald, îşi desfăşoară acțiunea în Vestul Sălbatic şi, deşi nu se ridică la nivelul Blade of Immortal, este plăcută și în stilul binecunoscut al autorului. Partea proastă? Este singura atractivă și este destul de scurtă.

Cam atât cu plusurile. Acum ce să vă spun? O fi de vină diferența dintre cultura noastră vestică și cea orientală? Poate, cu toate că eu cred că nu e doar asta cauza. De ce? Păi, să vă spun de ce: despre Emerald nu mai stăruim pentru că știm ce este, dar totuși e prea puțin; The Kusein Family’s Grandest Show și Brigitte’s Dinner sunt două povestiri cam aiurite. Am folosit aiurite ca să nu spun ceva mai dur, dar eu nu le-aș recomanda unor cititori sub 18 ani iar cei de peste să fie dispuși să citească astfel de lucruri. În afară că sunt cam ciudate, au și niște chestii de voyeurism, sado-masochism, ating un pic și incestul și nu mai continui căci sunt destul de multe lucruri tulburătoare. The Uniforms Stay On sunt cele mai multe și nu văd de ce. O poveste despre două fete de liceu ce trăncănesc vrute și nevrute despre viața lor, despre problemele generației lor și tot felul de alte lucruri care cu siguranță nici nu ne interesează și nici nu sunt niște chestii care dau pe dinafară de inteligență. Despre Shizuru Cinema am putea spune, ca să vă faceți o idee, că e ceva de genul Total Rekall, dar doar chestia cu magazinul de amintiri; în rest, nimic spectaculos. Low-Grade Strategy: The Mirror Play se referă la un joc de Mahjong. Nu cred că o să înțelegeți ceva dacă nu l-ați jucat și nu mă refer la jocul pe care-l avem toți în computer. Youth Chang-Chaka-Chang se referă la o melodie ce i-o dedică un băiat unei fete care îi tot găsește nod în papură, iar finalul este trăsnit și neașteptat.

Nu am crezut să spun asta, dar eu nu v-aș recomanda-o. Dacă sunteți fanii acestui gen de manga mai... ciudat, este treaba voastră. Gusturile nu se discută!

No comments: